I don’t know why it’s so difficult to find a good social sharing plugin. WordPress plugin repository is full of various social sharing plugins but most of them lack the essence of a good plugin. It’s a reason why Top Social Sharing Plugins for WordPress list was born.
Why is it so hard?
I think I changed at least 20 sharing plugins. Most common issues I experienced are related to:
- Plugin stopped being maintained
- Sharing plugin was affecting site load time
- Bloated with features
- Bad coding broke my site
Now, I am not saying that all plugins are bad, It’s just that you have go through laborious process before you find the right one. In the process I found some amazing plugins, some are free and some are commercial. They all have two things in common, they will help you increase conversion and they are of the best quality.
Amazing – Top Social sharing buttons for WordPress
One of the best social sharing plugins Social Warfare
Social Warfare is one of the latest plugins for social sharing. As soon as it was launched it became widely popular because of it’s unique features. It’s one of the most impressive plugins currently on the market.
It features stunning sharing buttons which you can easily place on your blog. You can choose from several themes but you can also set your own color to match the color of your blog.
In addition, by using Social Warfare you can boost sharing engagement of your website.
One customer saw a three fold increase when switching to SocialWarfare.
Their customers all praise increased user sharing, they love that the plugin is light on resources and that it can be customized.
What makes it one of the best social plugins:
- You can drive traffic from all social networks. For increased Twitter shares, it includes tweetable quote boxes which you can place in your content featuring beautiful themes you can choose from. This can be used to increase Twitter traffic with great success.
- Some bloggers are still not paying attention to Pinterest. On the other hand I know several bloggers who use Pinterest with a great success. Some sites receive more that 60% of traffic from Pinterest. Pinterest has a huge potential. The problem with most plugins that feature a »Pin« button is that images are not optimized for Pinterest sharing.
- With Social Warfare, you can create a special, Pinterest optimized image and upload it to your post, this won’t replace your regular featured image but will be used for Pinterest uploads only. What a neat feature. Since you can use custom images you can test which format works for you best – portrait or landscape. You can experiment with formats and make Pinterest work in your favor.
- Bloggers who changed their permalink structure will also love SocialWarfare as it allows social share recovery. That means that if old permalinks structure was /year/month/day/post-name and was changed to only /postname, it will automatically recover lost shares and help you increase sharing even further.
For articles with lower shares, you can hide low share counts until they reach a certain count. It doesn’t stop here, as it has many additional features that make it really one of the best there is.
- Fully mobile responsive.
- Popular Social networks support.
- You can display total or individual share counts.
- Hide lower share count.
- Show floating share buttons, at the bottom or at the side.
- Great looking themes with option to match your site look.
- Upload Pinterest optimized images with descriptions inside your posts.
- Add custom tweet text inside individual posts.
- Add “click to tweet” boxes within inside your content.
- Tracks social shares counts with UTM (Google Analytics) tracking code (monitor how much traffic is plugin sending you).
Price: Starts from $24/year (subscription is for updates and support, you can cancel anytime and keep using the plugin).
Display elegant social sharing buttons with Monarch
Monarch is a first plugin from elegant themes that created a lot of buzz around the internet. It immediately became one of the most popular social sharing plugin. Monarch is packed with many popular features. In some cases you need several plugins to cover it’s functionality. Monarch can display share counts only after they reach predefined counts which helps you combat negative social effect. It also has a beautiful widget for displaying social icons in a sidebar, it features automatic pop up’s and fly-in’s for increasing social sharing.
It is also one of the most best looking sharing plugins, it features beautiful sharing elements.
Overall, Elegant Themes crafts quality themes and plugins, so Monarch is no exception. It will serve you well and attract social sharing should you choose it.
- Popular social networks support.
- Beautiful display variations.
- Negative social impact prevention.
- Easy to use and navigate.
- Popover’s and fly-in sharing boxes for increased content sharing.
- Social media counters in widgets or with a shortcode.
- Tracking of social shares, follows and likes with a built-in statistics module.
Price: $89 per year but for that price you get access to all themes and plugins from Elegant themes
Get a wide arrange of features with Easy Social Share Buttons For WordPress
Easy Social Share Buttons For WordPress is one of the most feature-packed social sharing plugins.
It is features sharing buttons (including WhatsApp and Viber), social share counters which you can place inside the widgets, it has built in share statistics, pop up and fly out boxes. I think there is not a social network which is not supported by the plugin. If there is, I am sure they will add it in the next update.
- It also supports WooCommerce, JigoShop, WP eCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
You can use shortcodes for button/widget placement and you can customize anything you want. From placement to colors. It has already a set of predefined themes which you can use.
All in all, plugin is almost perfect it’s main drawback is usability. It has so many settings you can configure that you easily miss what is important and what is not and you can easily spend an hour searching for the required settings. Second problem is that all the features load a lot of CSS and JS files which affect loading speed of the website. Nevertheless, once you get around the settings, it is working well and is pretty stable. Recently it received a major version bump, it was rewritten from scratch for faster operation but usability problem is still a problem.
- It supports almost every possible soc. network (including Viber and WhatsApp).
- 19 different locations to place sharing buttons.
- Social fans counter in widget or via shortcode.
- 22 built-in templates.
- 11 counter positions and 6 total counter positions.
- Popups and fly-ins for increased social shares.
- You can customize button text.
- Social metrics is built in.
- Mobile optimized display.
- Compatible with WooCommerce, JigoShop, WP eCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
Social sharing arsenal from SumoMe
SumoMe is a very popular service which can be used on most websites. It’s not WordPress specific, yet it does provide a plugin which makes setting up services rather easy.
Applications that are available are:
- Image Sharer – Image Sharer adds share buttons on top of your images for increased sharing. It supports various sharing networks like Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook. Part of the service is also url shortening service with sharing statistics. You can choose to disable or enable it on a per page basis. You can also enable where to display them. For example, you may want to display them on mobile but not on desktop.
- Highlighter – Highlighter is another way to increase social interaction. When readers select text on your article, Highlighter will automatically open a pop which will suggest sharing of selected text via popular networks.
- Share – Share claims that it’s stupid easy for your visitors to share your content. It has support for all major social networks. It’s main advantage is that based on your content and previous sharing it automatically suggest and adjust the icon placement on your visitors browser. This feature is called page level targeting. It’s mobile friendly and you can choose how the buttons will display.
- All apps from the SumoMe collection are free to use but are branded. You can subscribe to a PRO plan which will unlock additional features, remove branding and give you a priority support.
- Include a default Twitter username when sharing tweets.
- URL shortening service.
- Platform agnostic (use on WordPress, Joomla, Magento, HTML website, etc).
- Sharing statistics.
- Manually choose sharing buttons position – bottom left, bottom right etc.
- Additional apps like contact form, Scroll Box and Smart Bar are available for various website improvements.
Price: Free with commercial option
Genesis Simple share for the Genesis fans
One of the great option for Genesis Fans is a free plugin called Genesis Simple Share. Just like the Genesis framework, is very light on resources and does one thing and does it well. It displays share buttons in it’s unique style. It doesn’t have many options but you can select couple of options. For example, you can choose a color scheme – color or black and white. You can choose size of the buttons and that’s about it.
With the recent Twitter changes, Tweet button will not display Twitter like count. Unfortunately, you don’t have an option to hide counts for remaining networks.
In addition, Genesis users can add social icons via another plugin called Simple Social Icons. You can add icons for the most popular networks only unfortunately but you can add them to every widget area. You you can customize size and color.
In the end, it’s a fine free plugin for the Genesis framework users.
- Free plugin
- Optimized for Genesis users
- Couple of options, like color and size
Shareaholic sharing is addictive
Shareaholic is another service which can be used on more than just WordPress. You can also use it on Magento, Joomla, PrestaShop and even HTML websites.
Shareaholic buttons are really beautiful and you have access to different themes.
In order to use all the features, you have to register for an account which is like another step you have to take, but account is free and that is great. You can also setup:
- Follow buttons, you can add follow buttons so that visitors can find your social networks and follow them.
- Related content, You can use Related post plugin from Shareaholic
- Affiliate links, you can set up affiliates links and earn a commissions.
- Shareable images, you can also setup sharing of your images so that you can get additional traffic from Pinterest
Shareaholic is more than a share button service. It’s a complete monetization platform.
Shareaholic is not for everyone, but I can see people from special niches enjoying earning additional money.
- Multiplatform support (WordPress, Joomla, Tumblr, Drupal, etc…)
- Enable or disable showing number of shares
- Shortcode support
- Social analytics
- Related content plugin
Simple Share Buttons Adder is super slim
Simple Share Buttons Adder is a simple WordPress plugin which can add share buttons to posts and pages.
You can choose a location, share text, image type and even create your own theme.
If you are looking for basic share buttons plugin which is very light, this is the one to choose.
- Extremely light weight
- Several image types to choose from
- You can add custom images
- Optional premium version
Ultimate Social Deux
Ultimate Social Deux is one of lightest yet feature packed plugins around. It gained a lot of popularity because it is fast, light and it looks great. It features floating share buttons in addition to the classic position. It has several themes you can choose from. This plugin is quickly gaining traction around the WordPress website community.
In addition it supports BuddyPress, bbPress, iThemes Exchange, WooCommerce, JigoShop, easydigitaldownloads and AESOP.
- Pinterest sharer for sharing Pinterest pictures
- Fan counters
- Extensive share networks support
- Google Analytics support
Unlock sharing potential with Social Share & Locker Pro
This interesting plugin comes not only with several options, but it has one special feature which can lift your social shares to the sky.
Now, I have to admit, it has many beautiful social share buttons which you can add to your pages and posts.
And the special feature I mentioned before and can increase sharing even further is called content locker.
For example, you can offer bonuses and special content in exchange for social sharing – for a tweet or Facebook like.
- It includes 10 themes
- It has support for WooCommerce, JigoShop and BuddyPress
- Content locker is included for increased social shares
- You can place it on many locations
- It has support for shortcodes
- Retina optimized and fully responsive
- Display share counts
- You can change text on the buttons
- Additional theme pack upgrade
Master shareable quotes with TweetDis
Shareable quotes is a great way to gain more traction and visitors from Twitter for the content you created.
Current solutions in some way do good work. Quotes that you select can be packaged in a way that design engages visitor to press Click to tweet button. But the result is not as great as you may hope.
TweetDis is exceptional tool for increasing conversion with “CLICK TO TWEET” functionality. Not only is it very easy to setup but the way tweet boxes are created is so amazing that draws engagement from Twitter automatically. One of the best “click to tweet” tools around
- Many design layouts to choose from
- Many customization for tweet boxes
- Easy customizing of call to action
- Text highlighting support
- “click to tweet” support for images
- Define a default @username in your tweets
- Bitly support
Price: starts from $37
Pinterest on Autopilot with Pinterest automatic Pin
Pinterest can be a great resource for driving additional traffic to your website. Even technology niches can expect traffic from Pinterest if only they share some images. While it’s maybe easier for fashion and design blogs to start and really drive Pinterest traffic, I have seen technology sites get as much as 10% traffic from Pinterest.
It’s can get difficult sharing all the content to various social networks. I guess that is a reason why many bloggers never try Pinterest. But, you see, with Pinterest Automatic Pin you can share your images automatically, on auto pilot so to speak.
Pinterest automatic will post all the pictures from your post to Pinterest without your intervention. You can choose to automatically pin only Featured image or you select images that will get pinned. Plugin is a masterpiece. It works like expected and support is top notch.
- Post featured image as a pin.
- Scheduled post support – select images, schedule a post and once it get published images will get pinned.
- Pins are Hyper-linked to your content, once they get clicked, visitors will get redirect to your website.
- You can choose default text and pin board
Monitor your social media sharing progress with Easy Social Metrics Pro
Monitoring your content sharing is essential to understand how to increase your content sharing.
Setting your a social media strategy is essential and you need the right tools to get that information.
Easy Social Metrics Pro plugin is made by the same team that created Easy Social Share buttons. It gives you all the information about social activity. It also features a widget which can show your most shared content for increased social engagement.
As this a commercial plugin, you can check a similar free plugin called Social Metrics Tracker created by Ben Cole.
- Custom post types are supported
- It has support for 12 social networks
- Re-scan your content manually
- Custom time frame social shares review
- See your top posts easily
- See which networks are performing well
- See which networks require improvement
- Breakdown social networks on daily basis
Which social sharing plugin should you choose?
I am pretty certain that everyone will find a social sharing plugin for his / her site.
Plugins that were presented range from Commercial to Completely free, Some are packed with features and some only have the most basic set.
You are the only one who knows what you need.
Your next step should be matching up a plugin to the features which you need.
If you are looking to grow your traffic, my favorite choice is definitely is Social Warfare. It is super fast and has just the right features. I changed permalink on my other blog and let me tell you how excited I was about social share recovery. I got all likes and tweets back.
You can also increase Tweeter engagement with click to tweet widgets. It will help you with negative social effect as it will not display social share counters until you reach certain amount of shares.
Perhaps one of the best features is called Frame Buster. Frame Buster will prevent other websites from showing your content inside the frame, showing their ads. Instead it will break the frame and redirect visitors to your website instead.
Pinterest can help you drive traffic if done right. Social Warfare has the means to help you start with Pinterest.
My second choice is Monarch. Beautiful plugin, awesome design, great backend and many features to choose from. It has many engaging features to increase social sharing. You can use pop up’s and slide out boxes. And the value you get from 89$ subscription is just amazing. Not only do you get access to all the themes (including their flagship theme called Divi) you also get access to all the plugins. While monarch is one of the best social sharing plugins around, they also released on of the best Email Opt-in plugins there is. In addition any new plugin or a theme they release is part of the package you can use. All Themes + All Plugins = amazing value.
If you are looking for a free WordPress plugin there are also several good options to choose from:
If you are a Genesis user you can choose a simple Genesis Social Share buttons which will complement your site beautifully. Simple Share Buttons adder is also a very popular choice. On the other hand you can find SummoMe applications do wonders with a full pack of features.